What To Do Until Help Arrives: Fire Restoration
House fires have the ability to be devastating, both financially and emotionally. Fortunately though, not every fire causes total destruction to your home and belongings. No matter how large or small your fire, the clean-up process can be a daunting task. Even a small kitchen grease fire has the ability to not only damage your kitchen but also the potential to spread smoke damage throughout your entire home. At SERVPRO of South Atlanta, we are the experts in fire clean-up and restoration. We receive calls, every single day, from concerned homeowners, just like you. SERVPRO of South Atlanta is here to help so you don’t have to face this alone. Contact SERVPRO of South Atlanta at (404) 505-1760! Our expertly trained team, will arrive at your home, as soon as possible, with all of the necessary equipment, to begin the clean-up and restoration process immediately, getting you back to life as normal, as quickly as possible. Our professional team will walk you through the entire process, from beginning to end, working hand and hand with you, your insurance company and your adjuster. At SERVPRO of South Atlanta we get the job right the first time!
Oftentimes, homeowners want to know what they can do while they wait for help to arrive. Here is a list of easy to follow tips and guidelines to help the cleanup process begin, and prevent any additional damage, to your property:
- In an effort to prevent further damage to your home and to keep soot from being embedded into things such as carpet, drapes or upholstered furniture, limit movement in the affected area.
- Touch as little as possible and make sure your hands are clean of soot, so that you don’t spread soot particles to clean items or further damage items such as furniture, clothing, drapes and walls.
- Lay dry towels or old but clean linens, that you don’t mind getting damaged, over rugs, upholstered furniture and in high traffic areas, to help reduce further damage, during the cleaning process.
- If your home is without power, save your perishable items in your refrigerator and freezer, by moving them to a cooler. After clearing out the appliances, remember to leave the doors propped open to prevent odor from developing.
- If your home is without power and the temperature is expected to drop below freezing, be sure to winterize your plumbing to prevent what could become additional costly repairs. To do so, pour RV antifreeze into your sinks, toilets and tub drains to keep them from freezing.
- Turn off your HVAC system and leave it off until a professional can inspect it. This will stop the transfer of smoke throughout your home and minimize soot particles moving through the HVAC system, distributing themselves in other areas of the home.
- If your ceiling is wet be sure not to turn on ceiling fans, as this may cause injury and additional damage, to your home.
SERVPRO of South Atlanta is the trusted name you want on your side, with over 50 years experience and quality work. While it may be tempting to clean your walls, shampoo your carpets, clean your drapes and furniture yourself, these things are best left to the fire cleanup and restoration professionals at SERVPRO of South Atlanta. We will come to your home with the proper tools, materials and knowledge to make this as seamless and stress free as possible. We know how to do the job, and we know how to do it right the first time. So keep calm and call the pros, SERVPRO of South Atlanta, faster to any size disaster.
*For more related fire restoration blogs check out the following links: “Smoke, Fire and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Tips”; “Different Types of Smoke and Smoke Damage”; “Most Common Causes of Fires in Atlanta”