Getting Ahead of Fall Fire Safety | SERVPRO of South Atlanta
We still have a little bit of time before we feel the crisp cool evenings, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to look ahead and dream of cooler weather! Fall temperatures will be here soon enough. In the meantime, as you still get to enjoy evenings by the pool, take a look at a few fall safety tips.
Like you do on summer evenings, sitting by a bonfire of some sort can be relaxing during the cooler evenings of fall, too.
- When getting prepared for any kind of campfire, you need to be aware and alert as to where you are going to build your fire. Make sure that it’s away from anything flammable, and only use dry wood or limbs to set it up.
- When lighting your campfire, you should never resort to using an accelerant like kerosene or lighter fluid.
- And like all good things, even campfires have to come to an end. Before you ever leave the campfire, ensure it’s completely extinguished and has been for a while.
- You can make this happen a little faster by slowly dousing the fire with a bucket of water. The water can help ensure that all the embers are put out.
While here in Atlanta we know that sometimes we can skip fall altogether, it can get chilly sometimes. Rather than starting up the entire heater, a portable space heater can become quite handy. But it’s important to take safety measures.
- Space heaters have truly come a long way since they were originally introduced. They now usually come equipped with an automatic shut-off capability so that if they are knocked over or become too hot they will automatically shut off.
- While this is great, it’s still in your best interest to stay aware and keep heaters away from heavily trafficked areas of the home and keep it settled on a level surface.
Halloween is still a few weeks away, clearly the year sneaks by us quicker than we realize. While we will get into further discussion about this holiday (and others) in later blog posts, let’s quickly touch on why you need to be fire-aware. As you get ready to set out your fall and winter holiday décor, it’s important to remember the fire hazards that these items can create. Costumes, candles and décor can all be hazards if not used carefully.
*If your home should suffer fire or smoke damage, remember the trusted leader in the fire restoration and recovery industry...SERVPRO of South Atlanta. You can contact SERVPRO of South Atlanta at (404) 505-1760 to get your property fully restored, including odor removal that will make that annoying smoke smell “Like it never even happened."