Prepare Your Atlanta Home for Spring Storm Season
Springtime can bring unpredictable weather patterns and events. Planning and being prepared for severe weather is important because they often bring dangerous conditions that could pose risk for serious injury and even death. Here in Georgia temperatures oftentimes will ping-pong back and forth from temperately warm to frigid. Rainy or stormy forecasts can be pushed out and replaced by beautiful sunny days, and visa versa. Famous writer Mark Twain was once quoted in saying, “In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours.”
Thunderstorms are the cause of a majority of the springtime severe weather. They almost always bring lightning, tornadoes, and flooding. When warm and moist air collides with cooler more dry air, this creates the perfect conditions for thunderstorms. Spring and summer are the most common times for thunderstorms in Atlanta, GA, so it’s important to pay special attention and be prepared for adverse weather conditions during these seasons. Planning for severe weather like lightning, tornadoes, and floods calls for specific safety measures to be taken.
- Keep an emergency first aid kit on hand. The first aid kit should be well stocked. When choosing a first aid kit keep in mind how many people are involved in your living situation (family, roommates, neighbors, etc.) and be sure to account for any preexisting health conditions that might need to be addressed.
According to the American Red Cross a First Aid Kit should include:
- non-latex gloves
- assortment of adhesive bandages
- antibiotic ointment
- sterile gauze pads in assorted sizes
- absorbent compress dressings
- adhesive cloth tape
- aspirin packets (81 mg each)
- first aid instruction booklet
*NOTE: Customize your first aid to meet your individual and family needs.
- Keep a battery-operated flashlight, NOAA Weather Radio, and extra batteries or battery backup for these and any other essential electronic devices like cell phones, laptops or ham radios.
- Make an emergency evacuation or shelter plan that includes a map to safety from each room of your home, and create specific plans for each type of severe weather emergency.
- Create a list of Important personal information like phone number of neighbors, family members, and friends. You should also have your any important medical information or insurance and property information like a copy of your insurance policy or deed to your home. Also keep contact information for local utility companies, emergency services, and your preferred restoration service provider...SERVPRO of South Atlanta.
- Sleeping bags or blankets, personal hygiene items, and a 3-5 day supply of potable drinking water and nonperishable food should also be included in your preparedness plan.
If your home or businesses suffer storm damage our team at SERVPRO of South Atlanta is here to help!
We offer 24-hour emergency storm mitigation, restoration and cleanup. SERVPRO of South Atlanta has highly trained technicians in the field and on call 24/7, so that when you call we can be faster to any size disaster. SERVPRO of South Atlanta is an IICRC Certified Firm with the experience and equipment to make your storm damage “Like it never even happened.” Don’t take our word for it...see what our storm damage restoration customers have to say about working with SERVPRO of South Atlanta:
Matt B. of Atlanta, GA - “SERVPRO of South Atlanta is a great restoration company. Easy to work with and flexible. They were prompt, professional and on time (even called ahead of appointments). I recommended them to a friend for a water damage situation and they did a great job drying out her property. I highly recommend SERVPRO of South Atlanta.”
Anne J. of Atlanta, GA - “Great weekend response time. A very friendly knowledgeable technician arrived within an hour on a Saturday afternoon and took care of everything! I highly recommend this company.”
Diane C. of Atltanta, GA - “I want to thank Trevon and Juyuan for their professionalism as they attended to our storm related water damage issue. They identified what needed to be fixed and how, clarified next steps, and educated us on the different options. They both updated us throughout the process and answered all of our questions. And thank you for your quick response to our needs.”
Steven B of Atlanta, GA - “These guys did a great job cleaning up my house! We had a big storm cause some flooding in my kitchen and garage. SERVPRO showed up quickly, explained their procedures, and cleaned up the mess in no time. Highly recommended!”
*Check out our A+ Rated & Accredited Business profile with the BBB or visit our Google My Business page for more satisfied customer reviews!