Clogged Gutters Can Cause Major Water Damage in Cobb County, GA
Owning a home is part of the American dream. Having a place you can call your own. People work hard to afford their homes and invest their hard earned money, blood, sweat, and tear into them. Don’t let clogged gutters ruin all that you have worked for. Clogged gutters can happen many different ways but SERVPRO of South Atlanta is here with some tips to prevent clogged gutters and water damage.
Common Causes of Gutter Related Water Damage
- Common Debris - Throughout the year, leaves, sticks and other debris can build up in gutters making it difficult for water to drain. Homeowners should regularly check and clean gutters to prevent water from pooling in gutters or on rooftops. Consider outfitting gutters with screens or grates to prevent leaves and sticks from building up.
- Snow & Ice - The additional weight from snow and ice buildup on roofs and gutters can cause water intrusion issues from leaks to full on roof/gutter collapses. Water expands when it freezes, causing cracks and seams to expand. The repeated freezing and thawing cycle can cause small cracks to develop into larger ones that allow water to intrude into the structure of the building.
- Ice Dams - During winter months, sometimes snow or ice can buildup along roof ridges, valleys, and in gutters. Ice Dams can form when snow melts unevenly on a roof and refreezes at the edge of the roof near the eaves causing a blockage. This blockage prevents water runoff from melting snow from draining off the roof. Standing water on a roof can leak through shingles causing significant water damage to the ceiling and walls inside.
- Installation Issue or Maintenance - When gutters are hung improperly or are not angled properly, water can pool in the gutters and seep into homes. Over time even properly installed gutters can begin to sag or pull away from the side of the house. This can also throw-off the slope of the gutters causing drainage issues and water intrusion into the home.
- Drainage Issues - Water drainage issues are one of the most common causes of water damage, as it relates to gutters. Downspouts running from the gutters should discharge water away from the structure, preventing water from intruding into home. Discharge water can also cause ground erosion, washout, or gullies. Most water drainage issues related to gutters can be fixed by diverting, containing, or redirecting the water drainage via downspout extensions or by grading or reshaping the landscape in the area.
The best way to prevent almost all of these common gutter issues is to regularly inspect and clean your gutters. Some homeowners choose to have mesh-screen caps or “gutter guards” installed on their gutters to prevent leaves and other debris from creating clogs. You can also prune or trim nearby trees or shrubs that could be contributing to the debris building up in your gutters. As for ice dams and snow built up on your roof, you can use several methods to safely remove these winter related issues. Try liberally salting the snow or ice to encourage it to melt more quickly. You can also have a professional de-ice your roof using pressurized steam. No matter what type of gutter issue you face, it’s very important to resolve them in a timely manner to prevent water from damaging your home.
Have Storm Damage? Call (770) 424-0400 or Click Here & SERVPRO of East Cobb will contact you!
SERVPRO of East Cobb Credentials, Reviews & Testimonials
- Google Review Score of 5.0
- A+ Accredited Business with the BBB
- 5.0 Customer Satisfaction Rating on Facebook
- IICRC Certified Firm
Bill D. of Smyrna, GA - “Thanks for all your help sorting out my flooded basement and crawlspace. SERVPRO of South Atlanta was right on time, extracted the standing water, and set equipment to dry out our basement and crawlspace. Great job and a great experience having my home cleaned and restored quickly and on budget.”
Matt B. of Atlanta, GA - “SERVPRO of South Atlanta is a great restoration company. Easy to work with and flexible. They were prompt, professional and on time (even called ahead of appointments). I recommended them to a friend for water damage situation and they did a great job drying out her property. I highly recommend SERVPRO of South Atlanta.”
Diane of Atlanta, GA - “I want to thank Trevon and Juyuan for their professionalism as they attended to our storm related water damage issue. They identified what needed to be fixed and how, clarified next steps, and educated us on the different options. They both updated us throughout the process and answered all of our questions. And thank you for your quick response to our need.”
Steven B. of Atlanta, GA - “These guys did a great job cleaning up my house! We had a big storm cause some flooding in my kitchen and garage. SERVPRO showed up quickly, explained their procedures, and cleaned up the mess in no time. Highly recommended!”