What To Do If Your Atlanta Home Experiences a Flash Flood
Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. According to the American Red Cross, floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year, than any other weather related disaster. A flash flood can develop quickly or slowly and may come with little, to no warning. SERVPRO of South Atlanta receives emergency water damage calls, every single day. We understand that this can be a stressful time and we are here to help! We are the professionals you want on your side restoring not only your home, but your peace of mind, as well.
Every flood, whether large or small, has the potential to cause major damage and devastation, to your home. After the storm, flood waters may be receding, however many dangers still exist. Here are a few tips to keep in mind after a flash flood:
- Avoid moving water. It only takes six inches of moving water to sweep you off your feet, and one foot of moving water has the ability to wash your vehicle away.
- If you evacuated, only return to your home after authorities have deemed it safe. Always use caution when entering any structure, after a flood.
- When safe, turn off the electricity at the main breaker, only turning it back on after your home has been inspected by a certified electrician. The possibility of electrocution is a real and serious hazard, any time water is involved.
- Mold can develop within 24-48 hours of a flood. This is one of the reasons it's crucial to begin the cleaning and restoration process quickly. When you contact SERVPRO of South Atlanta, we will dispatch technicians right away to begin the water extraction and restoration process, saving your home from further damage and additional costly repairs.
- In an attempt to avoid additional damage, remove any items not affected by flood water. At SERVPRO of South Atlanta, we offer professional pack-out services. Our pack-out professionals will safely manage the move of your belongings, taking a complete and thorough inventory. Your belongings will be safely stored and if needed, cleaned, in our climate controlled, video-surveilled warehouse, while your home is being restored. When your home is back to its pre-flood condition we will deliver your items to you, in a timely fashion.
- It is important to have a thorough understanding of your insurance policy. Be sure to call your insurance agent, to discuss whether or not you need flood insurance. Having the proper coverage, can make all the difference in any disaster. SERVPRO is the preferred vendor for almost every major insurance company, making us the trusted professionals you want, when disaster strikes.
SERVPRO is recognized nationwide for our emergency response and support of regions devastated by natural disasters. With over 1,700 franchises nationwide, you are never more than a phone call away from the best restoration company, in your area. Our technicians are highly trained and certified professionals.We are the water restoration specialists, that have the ability to clean up any size disaster. Contact SERVPRO of South Atlanta at (404) 505-1760, your local water restoration and storm recovery professionals.
*For more safety and preparedness tips check out our friends at ready.gov/floods or if you enjoyed this blog, check out some of our related Storm Restoration Blogs: “Disaster History in Atlanta, GA”; “Preferred Service Providers for Storm Restoration Professionals in Atlanta”; “Atlanta Home Insurance Storm Claims: Frequently Asked Questions”